04 March 2014

Broadbase Designs


While looking at packaging design on thedieline.com, I found an example of design that combines packaging and product into one. The design was created by Broadbase for Tala, a company that sells retro cooking supplies. Here is the link to the Tala Original’s page on the dieline. Looking at these designs led me to Broadbase’s website where I found other great examples of design that I’ll talk about, too. 
 

This is a unique approach to packaging design because in a lot of cases, the packing of a product is disposed of and that is the end of the design. The idea of combining a product and its packaging design helps continue to advertise for the company. If people like the old-fashioned look of Broadbase’s designs for Tala, then they may continue to buy products from Tala. Something else interesting about the design is the company looked in the Tala archives and used that is inspiration for the early 20th century style of these products. They were brought up to date with modern day printing technologies. I like the idea of taking an old style and bringing it back by putting it on something that is used and seen on a daily basis. I kind of see it as being able to interact with the past. I have also attached a link to an online kitchen store that sells Tala products if anyone is interested in looking at more of their products. Here is a like to Broadbase’s home page, also. 





I explored Broadbase’s website and came across another cool design sample. It is for the Treasure contemporary jewelry exhibition that takes place at the Somerset House in the UK each year. The Somerset house is a venue and it was Broadbase’s job to create designs for the jewelry exhibition. Based on the photography of the event and a short video about the exhibition, I think the design company captured the beauty and elegance of the modern jewelry displayed in the exhibit. The use of swirls and script text creates the sophisticated feel of the event but the use of bright colors makes the design feel fun and fresh. In their description of the project, Broadbase explains that the color theme changes each year. It is a plus that the logo and design can change while still retaining the identifiable traits that make it unique to Treasure. Here is the link to Broadbase’s page on the exhibition.
 


The final example of design I would like to show you is of an arts and crafts book Broadbase designed. The book is titled The New Artisans and is by Olivier Dupon. I found out about this book when I clicked on shop in Broadbase’s website menu. It features current artisans and talks about their craft. Here is a link to a different blog that features the book. I like the use of simple layout and an emphasis on beautiful photography. I think the cover of the book is eye catching with the red spine and illustration of a deer with roses. Also, the use of white text against the grey background helps the book stand out. Hopefully I can get my hands on this book someday! It looks like it would be a lot of fun to read. 




4 comments:

  1. This is really neat Chloe! I really like their packaging design, especially on the Tala Original's page where the designs kind of remind me of a 50's diner style, or vintage. I think it's a good idea to mix the old with the new, sort of like you said to keep in touch with the past in a way. Also, that jewelry exhibition is amazing! I'm very attracted to floral and swirl details, so that one would definitely catch my eye if I were to walk by, and the fact that they can change the colors of it every year yet retain the identity is a great strategy! I haven't really looked into packaging designs until Graphic Design and Typography II lol, but I think I'm starting to get into it more and this is definitely one example that can serve as inspiration for future projects. Thank you for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The packaging design definitely has that vintage 40s and 50s feel that's extremely unique to that era. The appliances feel eclectic with pastel colors and old fashioned design aspects, but they're given a unique and modern facelift with modern printing tech and updated design. This sort of 50s diner style has become increasingly popular over the past couple years, at least from my observation, and it's sort of a revitalization of that style of graphic design. It's a unique design and a breath of fresh air from all the sharp, modern looks we can get caught up in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, I enjoy the classical style they've revived. The mug with the light mint and reds has a pleasant tone to it. It has nostalgic effects also, I think of the film 'Grease,' and the cafe/burger joint scene. The ice cream cone bowl is also a nice revival--yet there are modern aspects to it. The internal designs are a new idea, and the geometric style also implements modern vibes. The illustrations in the book are also well done, they have an old fashioned feel with the dry tones and bold background. Great post thanks for sharing Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the retro fell of the containers. I think that the use of the faded shades of color help the design work with the metal parts of the containers. I really like the concept of the green flour sifter; The design is very simple, yet when put on the metal container, the color pops and the design stands out more.

    Very cool post, thank for posting.

    ReplyDelete