27 January 2014

Edward Gorey

            -EDWARD GOREY-              

Edward Gorey (pictured left) was an all around wonderful person. Not only was he an illustrator, but an author of 100 books and a poet as well. In addition to these amazing things, he had a pretty awesome life – that you can see here – where he was surrounded by cats doing what he loved most; creating. (Also check out that beard!)

Gorey's work was most of the time pretty comical and surreal; two things of which I enjoy myself and which only make works of art more beautiful pieces. All of these reasons are why I hold Gorey so high on a list of "Inspirational Artists". 






Gorey's illustrations all have great design technique and style incorporated into them. As you can with this piece of his to the right, each part of the piece has something interesting in it. Whether it be the stroke itself, or the composition. The whole piece has also got a very successful color scheme. Most of the pieces you see from Gorey are usually just black and white, wherein he greatly uses his space to pull off a piece of work. You can also see a part of his humor in this piece. It definitely is not as grim as some of his work, but the humor is definitely there and his style helps highlight it.

I also take Gorey's work into affect when doing design work. I feel that Gorey liked to draw things that he found comical, or that he just enjoyed while putting major thought into his style as well as using his space successfully. When designing, I try to model this attitude as to produce something that is as successful as Gorey's work.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I could search that illustration for hours. It feels almost like a designers eye spy game. Except instead of looking for a list of random hidden things it is full of hidden symbolism, jokes, and social commentaries... o and frogs. lots of frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the style that he portrays. I'm a bit confused with some of the iconography, but it seems like there is TONS of stuff going on. Also, I love the cat scarf, seems warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cooper, the amount of detail that he puts into pieces just leaves you finding something different every time you look at it. I can definitely see the humor you described, I feel that an artist that has fun with his or her piece makes them a better artist.

    ReplyDelete