27 January 2014

For all the gamers out there...

*Originally I was going to talk about another website that covers corporate and brand identity work, but I stumbled upon this website so that other one will just have to wait.


The Game Art Hub (www.gamearthub.net/) is an archive-like resource formed in 2012. It has around 80 posts and is continuously growing with new posts every week. The site is perfect for those who are interested in becoming a video game design artist because that's all this site has - concept arts and models for video games. 


The site has collected concept arts from many hit titles like The Last of Us, Call of Duty, HALO and more. Many of their posts start with a short paragraph introducing the artist(s) or the studio, the video game in question and their opinion about the video game. They might also go into detail regarding the creator's career history, technical aspect of the project, or some interesting facts about the game / project.



The video game industry has been growing steadily in recent years. In 2013 Grand Theft Auto V set a world record for having the highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours., among other stunning records. Meanwhile, cheaper games offered on smartphones and tablets like Angry Bird is transforming the industry into an ultra-competitive, multi-billion dollars market of casual games and apps. Video game design is definitely a shining career path.

For more info, visit www.gamearthub.net/

All images copyrighted to their respective owner.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you found this site, added it to my bookmarks. I'm looking to get into 3-D art for games/films and it's nice to see the inside perspective. I'd say video game design is a nice career path if you are hard working and able to move up fast. Many times it's a rough lifestyle (from what I heard, because you are constantly being hired and then fired in between game production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice find. As both a gamer and an artist, it is nice to see the artistic pieces that go into the gaming industry. When I'm playing my games, I rarely think about the effort needed to make them look so fantastic, but articles like these really bring that to the front of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I Agree with you, while I play any video game, whether its xbox, computer, or Ipad I forget the amount of work that goes into creating these designs. This has me thinking about different aspects of characters in different games, the work that had to be done to make them.

      Phil,
      The gaming career path is going to continue to get bigger and stronger. I feel that the technology advances in gaming are going to spill over into other areas of design.

      Delete
  3. Great post Duncan! Video game character design is a field I am highly interested in. I love video games and have come to appreciate the quality of modern art in video games. It is expansive, adept, and gearing towards a bright future. Characters are so awesome in some games and to be able to construct the modeling and rendering would be a wonderful experience. This is a great website also, thanks for the post! Are you looking towards a career in video game art?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very cool that you mentioned this area of art! I think most people look over it as an artform and rather a part of the process of the creation of a video game. The amount of detail needed to make a three dimensional model into a believable object of person takes a lot of work and talent. One really cool thing about modern day video game art/modeling compared to traditional art, is the ability to dynamically change wether it be color, shading, or other feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Phillip, I added this to my bookmarks too. This is exactly the kind of career that I'm trying to break into, designing creatures, characters, and environments for video games and movies. I've been playing Halo since I was eleven and I love video games, but I've always had an interest in the art behind the games. The amount that the technology behind games and concept art has advanced in the last 10 years is astounding, and it's only getting more advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great site. In my later years of wanting to get better at art I bought as many art books ranging from guides and concept art such as the Persona series art collection, basic art explained through video games, and my favorite the Last of Us Art book. I think this site is great for people who would still like to look into the art of video games without committing to a purchase of a $40 book. The concept art for characters is especially great because they explain the process of how they visually design a character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great reference site. I enjoy exploring the art and design of the games I play. I tend to buy special editions just for the art books. There is a lot you can learn from the interdisciplinary field of game design. Such as 3D illustration, 2D animation, pixel art, game theory, programming and more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 3D illustrations and concept art on this website are pretty awesome. Being a big gamer, the attention to detail is a must for me when playing a game, and what these game designers are able to accomplish these days is absolutely unbelievable. I would love to do work like this for living.

    The submissions of the Arkham Origins character art were definitely my favorite part of this website. The killer croc model was really well displayed.

    ReplyDelete