23 January 2014

Kate Moross



Editorial Illustration for The Ride Journal
I discovered Kate Moross about two years ago, and I thought that I would be fun to introduce her for my first blog post. Moross is a London based designer, illustrator and art director. When it comes to typography illustration, she’s a real pro! They are often very chaotic, but that’s what makes her style so interesting. I think it works very well in terms of catching people’s attention. They not only have vibrant colors, but the way the composition is made with support of certain object forms, lines, etc… it all just  pretty much screams out at you in an effective way. 

So in the example to the left, you can see there are tons of different typography illustrations that were used for each word of the sentences, and they’re all unique in their own way. They are either tall, short, cursive-like, all caps, all lower case letters and so on. Yet, even if it seems overwhelming you get a sense of balance here by how compact they all are and how they fit next to each other. Plus, each word is characteristically done to represent itself, so for example ‘rain’ has a few emphasized lines around the letters that look like rain drops, and it's in blue color which represents the water substance.

In 2012, Moross became the director of her very own Studio, called Studio Moross. It mostly deals with music based projects, but if you want to check it out there some cool designs; in the packaging tab you can find some neat CD covers. There are more of her personal works (mostly typographic illustrations) on her own website, Kate Moross.


Kate Moross Olympic Shoe for Adidas Consortium 2012
You can start to tell, after seeing a couple of her works, that she has a kind of style that sometimes repeat, such as the kind of lines she uses (squiggly, zigzag, vertical or horizontal, straight lines) as well as shapes; she’s very into 3-sided or triangular shapes. She has done many cover designs and illustrations for well known brands and products, such as Converse and Adidas. In fact, some of her typography and illustrations have been incorporated into the products themselves.  

On top of that, she’s also designed for charitable nonprofit organizations like the American Cancer Society. I think that she’s really pushed herself up the ladder of success at quite a young age (26 I think) and she serves as a great inspiration not only me, but to many other aspiring designers... and  hopefully you guys too. If you want to buy a T-Shirt, necklace or any other products with her designs on it, you can check out her webpage’s Shop. Hope you liked it!

6 comments:

  1. I went to her website and as I was looking around I found that she has written a book called Make Your Own Luck where she gives her knowledge of how she made it as a successful graphic artist. I have read the reviews and descriptions and it is like a fun how to book that is geared to young aspiring graphic designers about how to be successful in design/art school and in the design world. It has not yet been released but I think that it would be a great book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge sucker for good labeling and packaging. I will buy something completely for the label or box, and I'm not ashamed. Her work is fun and engaging. I love that she has worked for causes to donate back, that always adds to a person I admire in general. Her website was very fun to poke around. I agree with Leigh, I think I would like to see the advice she gives and to see what she has gone though to get to where she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just find it amazing that her work, particular the example you showed, is so chaotic but so well balanced at the same time. It was as if every word she used was meant to be in that form, in that size, in that spot. That sort of eye for detail is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I don’t particularly like the example of Kate Moss. I see a type of harmony and good design, but with so many colors and little to no negative space it feels too busy and obstructed to read less than a minute. Especially when the fonts are stylized it makes it more of a challenge to read it. It is an attention grabber though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate Morros definitely has a very distinct style, but in most cases it works really well. Although her designs often have a lot going on, they are eye-catching a draw in my attention. I looked at her website and it looks like she does a lot of hand lettering which is creates a really unique style that I know is hard to accomplish. I hadn't seen any of her album covers before looking at her website but they have really cool illustrations instead of the typical picture of the artist or band.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've seen or heard of Kate Morros, but I think she has some really interesting design elements; especially in her typography. Although I would like to see the bright colors and organic shapes and lines to be pushed a bit further, its just a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete