28 January 2014

Fonts In Use



FONTSINUSE

So I wasn't really sure what I would focus my blog posts on but I figured the best thing to do for me and my fellow designers was to try and find helpful sites that could assist us in making some of the best work we can come up with. Sometimes you just don't have those creative juices flowing or maybe are just unsure about what to do in certain design situations and you need a little push or inspiration.

This site is called Fonts in Use








                                                                                Fonts In Use
 helps designers like us choose the right typeface and what it would and could look like in certain designs. You can search a certain typeface or just go through the images until you find a typeface you like. It even shows other typefaces that were used in that design so you know what typefaces work well with each other. This site includes a lot of the most well known typefaces like Arial and Helvetica but also a few not so well known. However, The more common, the more images. You can also search based upon the type of design you are creating and what it will be used for. You can search by industries (like fashion or architecture) or even formats (like posters or magazines) to get a clear cut idea of what typefaces to use or ideas on how to use it. 



Another cool feature is that if a design particularly interests you you can click on the image and it will give you a brief description of the image, maybe the designer and even a location of where they found the work.

I think this is actually a decent site, even though pretty new, seems to have a lot of potential. I think it also could help come up with an idea or a better way of using any typeface and give you creative strategies. I've already started looking into fonts for some of my projects! You can visit the site at www.fontsinuse.com

5 comments:

  1. This is a great site, I am always struggling with fonts to use in my projects. Knowing that this is out there, I can get a better idea of what might work, or at least get me on the right track to finding the correct font.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanner,

    Great post! Thanks so much for sharing this site with us, it's really cool and obviously quite useful. I can definitely see myself perusing it in the future for inspiration or guidance. I especially like how it doesn't focus solely on type, regardless of the fact that it is it's purpose, but incorporate the small details related to the design like the photo and designer. The internet is a wonderful place to stumble upon so many related things such as type to design to designer.

    Thanks again!

    Cheers,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this website before, but it is really interesting and helpful! It shows a lot of different type combinations to which helps have a better understanding of what sorts of typefaces can work together. Also, the type is shown in such a wide range of design, from websites, to books or bottle labels which helps show how universal and successful some typefaces can be. It will definitely help me decipher which typefaces will work with certain projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who often has difficultly in selecting and incorporating fonts and typeface in my designs, I think this website is absolutely amazing. There are a lot of excellent examples of uses of different typefaces in different mediums of design. A very cool find, I will definitely be using this for reference when incorporating type into my work

    ReplyDelete