03 March 2014

Colourlovers.com

Color can usually make or break a design so selecting a color palette that works well is crucial. During our last project I stumbled across the website colourlovers.com It is a great site that provides color combinations and palettes that are successful. I usually struggle to come up with a color scheme that is interesting and has a lot of contrast, so this website was extremely helpful. 

There is an option to browse preexisting palettes, and there are thousands of options to choose from. Once you click on the palette it gives you the color information so you can easily replicate them. 

http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes



Another useful aspect of this website is a search tool where you can refine your search to certain hues or colors you want to utilize, and it will come up with combinations that include those colors. I think this a great feature because if you have your mind set on a certain color, you can enter the hexadecimal number and easily find great color combinations using that color.


http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes/search



Another great feature of this site is that you can create your own palette by uploading a photo. It uses the colors in the photo to create multiple color options that fit will using colors from within the picture. I always find myself trying to pull out colors from photos to use in a design and this tool is extremely effective in taking that another step further.

http://www.colourlovers.com/copaso/ColorPaletteSoftware


 I think this website can be helpful to a lot of us who sometimes struggle creating a strong color scheme in or pieces. After looking through this site, selecting a color palette is much easier.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is a really cool website! I did some browsing and playing around and it really comes up with some great alternative colors and combinations. I'm usually okay when it comes to choosing color palettes, but either way this can be a pretty beneficial website to keep in handy in case I hit rock bottom at some point, lol. I like how they also show the hexadecimal in case you want to copy and have that exact shade of color in the future. Overall, I really liked this blog; it was fun and it gave me a useful website to use if I need to find a color scheme when I'm not exactly feeling 'colorful.' Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the issue of finding color palettes that are visually engaging, but well done. Sometimes I find myself using the same color schemes over and over because I know that they work and look good, but am always a little dissatisfied because of not doing something new. I really liked the photo feature because of being a minor in Photography. Photos are such a good source if color palettes that a site that helps you figure out the actual colors and then being able to build on top of them is really helpful. Color is such an important part of design, that having sites like this is really fun and beneficial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what i really struggled with last project. Im for sure using this for the next project! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check this website out definitely! It is hard choosing what colors will work, most of the time my projects have all the colors in the rainbow, and I really need to limit my colors. This helps a lot. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I've definitely been needing a site like this to help get me on the right track. I've recently been looking into well designed color combinations - by the way, pinterest is a great spot to just browse various color combos and designs in general - so seeing a site completely dedicated to cohesive colors that's not pinterest is a fantastic find! I've always found that I'm unwilling to branch out with color. I wind up sticking to one or two pretty dull colors that are either complimentary or analogous and it just ends up being... boring. So, I'm definitely going to be turning to this site more often whenever I get stuck. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really good, a lot of sites have done work to help creating different kinds of color pallets or tools to make personal ones. I prefer using Kuler which is a free tool in Adobe products and has a massive library of pallets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Cool! I'm always looking for sites that help me with my design process. Color is super important and its really hard to find a good color pallette sometimes. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete