31 March 2014

Hand-Lettering

I've noticed since the beginning of the semester quite a few dabblings in hand-lettering for various projects and designs from several different classmates in both Type 2 and Graphic Design 2. My interest piqued, I decided to look into hand-lettering and what sort of process it takes to come with a decent, clever design. A quick google search had me stumbling upon Sean McCabe and his website completely devoted to the pursuit of hand-lettering.




Mr. McCabe has a large portfolio of all hand-lettered designs in various styles ranging from modern to traditional and everything in between. It was extremely useful to see his site and the wide variety of design one can be exposed to in the sole medium of hand-lettered type.


 
This is for anyone interested in typography and the application of it outside the computer. McCabe has tutorials on hand lettering for those who would prefer a guided tour of hand-lettering, or you can just take a gander at his portfolio to see the diverse potential of hand-lettered typography. Either way, it's definitely something I'm going to keep a tab on for future design considerations.
 




For those who are interested, here's his website:

seanwes.com

4 comments:

  1. This is truly a very intriguing and aesthetically pleasing form of design for me. I am very taken by design that goes back to pen on paper mediums but that can still be used in the digital world. If you're the kind of designer that loves putting pen to paper, I was thinking about ways that one could create their own typeface in a quick and easy way. You could theoretically do an entire alphabet on paper then scan it, bring it into illustrator, do a live trace, then expand, make some tweaks, and you've got your own typeface that you could manipulate however you want. Getting the font to then respond to your keyboard keys would be another matter entirely, but you could at least have a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice find, I really like his work. I have been trying some hand lettering this semester and I think it is really challenging but very rewarding (when done well). I want to do more hand lettering and get better so I am definitely going to try out his tutorials this summer when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning hand lettering like this is definitely on my bucket list. While I have dabbled in some calligraphy work, I am nowhere near where I would like to be. Calligraphy is an awesome talent to have in an artists and designers back pocket. I think though the work is tedious, it is also very rewarding once done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being someone who struggles with using effective type in my work, I am always in awe when I see such beautifully done handwritten type like this. The use of handwritten type in design makes it just so much more personal and gives it it's own style.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete