11 March 2014

Unsponsored Advertisement

So, we're in the midst of packaging design projects. Ice cream, tea, cigars, contraceptives, shades, chocolate, wine stoppers... you're going to be looking at cold brew coffee. Delicious, smooth, arousing, and most importantly, caffeinated coffee.

Packaging design isn't just about making something pretty. You want your product to be unique, to stand out on it's shelf so that mindless consumers meandering through the aisles of their respective corporate grocer will look up and go, "Oh. Hey. What's that?" They have been ensnared. They have no option but to pick it up, feel it out, and realize they need this in their life. Great products have a statement, and the bigger the statement, the more consumers will be impacted by it. Consumers don't love what you have to sell, they love why you are selling it. You know why all these small-town, hipster cold brewers are successful? They do not design a look, they create a feeling.

And let's be real, coffee lovers are #$^*in' intense about their coffee. It's a part of a lifestyle. These cold brewers are selling that lifestyle. And consumers want in.

Enjoy.









Unsponsored advertisement: Chameleon Cold-Brew Mocha Coffee is at Sprouts... get on that.




7 comments:

  1. Now I really want to buy some, so I guess that means the design is effective. I think a big part of what makes these so compelling is the shape of the bottle, which is fun and non-standard for that type of beverage. But simplistic label design is also very attractive with strong type and well activated negative space. The diagonals in the pattern also help add to the eyecatch factor of the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was viewing the pictures the thought of "these look like nothing else in the coffee isle", and with that being said, these would definitely pop out next to the bags or even mainstreamed look of premade Starbucks glass bottles. Like Thomas said the unorthodox presentation of the product makes for a great way to draw in potential buyers!

    I too will be searching sprouts for some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm not a big coffee drinker (I prefer iced chai, sue me), the packaging for these iced coffee bottle intrigues me. Most of the bottles remind me of old medicine/chemical containers, like iodine or something, and the Anchor one is like a chubby beer bottle. They take the idea of other packaging designs and make coffee the focus. The designs are much more appealing than the Starbucks iced coffee bottles in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree that I have never seen coffee packaged like this, which makes it stand out. Although I don't really drink coffee, the packaging is really unique between the bottle and the labels themselves which makes them seem appealing to buy and try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet designs! I actually didn't know this kind of product existed (minus obviously the starbucks crap they always put out) Really cool and the design is really intriguing. I completely agree with killians comment and i think its overall a very solid design. I too will have to look around at sprouts for some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to say I like coffee, but I usually can only get through half of one before I've had enough. I don't think I would drink out of one of these because I'm too mainstream, don't have a mustache, or wear a monocle. The bottles are very stylish and I can definitely see a hipster drinking out of one while pretending to hate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you said about not selling a look but a feeling. I have noticed this about face washes (random), but if the packaging is light colored and sold with no patterns or messy type, a clean design, I will be more opt to reach for it because it sells me the feeling of a clean and blemish free face.
    How did you find this coffee brand? It is a really neat design and like how simple and muted the design is.

    ReplyDelete