11 March 2014

Low Poly Lamps


Low poly has really caught our imagination is recent weeks-- well at least mine has. Through some internet digging of my own I stumbled upon these amazing low poly lamp fixtures by Corneel Cannaerts, a Belgium based designer and programmer. These 3D-printed pieces are very vivid and instantly stand out due to their geometric shape. Cannaerts has developed his own way of printing these lamps and also his own software for developing his pieces. I love the way color is used in these pieces (below) and with light coming through from the other side can make for dynamic moods and interesting light patterns.


These lights are outfitted with LEDs to provide a bright light without all the heat of a traditional lightbulb.



His software can even take regular 2D images and interpret that into a colored mesh ready to print.





If you want to see more of by Corneel Cannaerts check out his website


4 comments:

  1. I knew this was your post before I saw your name, Ryan, haha. They definitely look awesome and the 2D to 3D software is very creative. I could see you doing something similar to this based on some of the work I've seen you do in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cool that you found products that actually use this design style! I am impressed with the way these low poly designs turned out and how well they printed. It was a great idea to use these shapes as lamps because the different colors making up the design would be cast on the walls in an interesting way. I can see these being used in hip restaurants and bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing these make me want to use the software to create one of these for every picture I have. They are really neat and I want a set of them. 3D printers have really expanded where design can go. It is great to see someone making functional and beautiful things with software!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really neat lamps. They do not really look like blown glass lamps but that is what they remind me of. It is really cool how he creates them on the computer, its a really neat take on creating light fixtures.

    ReplyDelete