01 April 2014

Sam Flores


Sam Flores   


 I have always loved winter sports and getting out on mountains.  A couple years ago my dad bought a pair of skis by Icelantic.  They are a company based out of Colorado that pair awesome quality skis with awesome graphics.  Recently they partnered with Sam Flores to create a limited addition style of skis.
    Sam Flores is an American visual artist, illustrator, and muralist who's genre is mostly urban and graffiti-inspired modern art.  His mediums are mostly acrylics, pen and ink, and sculpture.  He focuses his talents on created designs for skateboarding and clothing companies.  He has shown work in the United States, Canada, Singapore, Japan and throughout Europe.
    The reason why I chose him is because 1) He is working with Icelantic, a company that I would love to have a chance to work for  2) Because he is a designer who has persevered by being true to his style while also making his mark in businesses such as Icelantic.
    I especially like his realism mixed with abstraction that is all tied together with his vivid uses of colors.  His art and successes are a great inspiration to aspiring designers.










Check out Icentic's website to see his work as well as the awesome graphics used on Icelantic's other merchandise.

8 comments:

  1. Love those illustrations! I like how he mixes the simplistic style of graphic art with the shading and gradation of the use of paint. I always love to see my own work in physical form, I can only imagine what it would be like to see others using the products featuring my artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool that he partnered with Icelantic. I know that when I went to buy my skies all they good quality skies that looked at had boring designs, and they ones that had awesome design were not the quality that I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these pieces are beautiful. What's more is that they say something. I greatly respect artists who can so beautifully make a message with their art. Furthermore, as both an artist and a skier, I appreciate well decorated skis. They give me something to look at while on the lift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this guy is awesome. His color choices are bold and vibrant supporting the nature of the work. Some are dream like and others contemporary--yet their is cohesion between them. I always enjoy when an artist establishes recognition through a vast medium. Great post--also the one with the lion is gnarles barkley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pieces are awesome. They remind me a lot of Burton and Jono Wood's work (I may write about him next week). I am a huge fan of this type of illustration, graffiti use and color mixed with outdoor sports. The bold statement each of his pieces make show the user/owner isn't afraid to stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the colors! The organic lines! The consistent style but variety of concepts! I'm really diggin' this guy. His work is very unique in comparison to other art in the winter sport industry and as well all know, that's how you make it big (most of the time... hopefully... haha). Thanks for sharing, Cloie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The combination of urban graffiti and skiing is an unexpected and incredibly interesting indication of the progression of the sport. Skiing has always been seen as the snow sport that is the anti-theisis to the grunge and punk rock styling of snowboarding. But now it is becoming less elitest and appreciated by a generation of riders who love it as an extreme sport and this work really represents this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love his artwork. He has a very unique style. I love looking at graphics on snowboards and skis and seeing what people can come up with nowadays. Cooper hit it spot on. "The combination of urban graffiti and skiing is an unexpected and incredibly interesting indication of the progression of the sport." that is so true and i think is a cool realization. I would definitely like to see more of his work!

    ReplyDelete