11 February 2014

Less Is More

'Less is More' is a show put on by the 31 year old artist Zoltan Bekefy. Bekefy is a landscape photographer and focuses on minimalism and use of black and white themes to capture natures beauty and persevered silence.

When ask why he preferred the black and white theme over colored photography, to which he replied, “I cannot tell you exactly. I love the simplicity and mood that black and white photography gives us. Monochrome images of a scene seem to encapsulate more personal meaning to me.”

His work is spectacular to look look at, the contrasts are so sharp that it is truly one of the best photographers I've seen; coupled with the amazing simplicity.


Befeky travels all over the world captures these extremely dramatic images and I think they can inspire anyone to see how simplicity can create dramatic depth through a medium like this. If you want to see more of his work, click here to check out his website.

5 comments:

  1. Bekefy's photos are extremely deliberate. You can tell he chooses his landscapes precisely to showcase that severe contrast of values. His intentional use of black and white helps show us what the basics of nature mean to us without the assumed identity of color getting in the way. We see something red in nature, it usually means it's poisonous. Removing the color completely gives the landscape a neutral stance where we can assign our own meanings that aren't as dictated by society.

    This is the first time I've seen his photography, but I've always enjoyed grayscale photos. Walker Evans is a famous great depression-era photographer who also has these great, high contrast images. Having a modern artist who can choose to photograph in black and white instead of colors speaks to the deliberation in each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Hannah. I feel like it would be hard to take pictures of nature in black and white and capture there full effect. I really like the contrast of the shades of grey, white, black. They have different mood with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked black and white photographs, especially because in terms of photographing people I believe they look better in B&W than in color, haha. But this take on B&W nature is truly amazing, and I agree with the previous posters. The distinction and contrast make the landscape of the photographs more defined; I especially like it on the 3rd example. Although I do enjoy great quality pictures of nature in color as well, this is another take that creates just as much impact and significance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekefy's work is really interesting to look at because it takes such an extreme approach to displaying nature in photography. Because they are in black and white it creates an abstract feel that is unlike most photography of nature. I completely agree with Hannah that the gray scale allows us to create our own meanings and interpretations, which is hard to accomplish with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the surreal feeling his work has. It's landscape photography, but the black and white makes it feel as if I'm looking at some beautiful alien world instead of my own. I wonder what his intentions are in these photographs. Is he just trying to capture beauty in a different way? Is he trying to say something about our world? I don't know, but either way his work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete