03 February 2014

TypeConnection

   I also wanted to share a site that I found useful. It is called TypeConnection, A Typographic Dating Game. It is a game that helps you learn how to pair fonts. You choose a font, a pairing strategy, then you make a pair and find out if it was a good match.
http://www.typeconnection.com/index.php

   I played it a few times and I felt that I had learned some good tips for choosing fonts that worked well together. I did not feel that the game gave me enough information about the right way to pair them until I found the page links in the upper right hand corner. One of the pages has a detailed description of each pairing strategy. I found this page to be extremely helpful with a clear and concise descriptions on how to pair typefaces. 

   I really like the page called Meet The Matches. Where there are 20 font combos that the website recommends. If you click on a combo then an image of the fonts together is expanded as well as a explanation about how and why the fonts work well together. I have used this page for projects when I have no idea what fonts I want to use. 

   The Resources page also has some good sites to check out if you want to learn more about fonts. The site also has a good comedic aspect, relating pairing fonts to dating. It can be a dry and boring topic and they found a way to make it more fun and interesting. I also found that the site has a very clean design and a easy to follow grid which is always a good thing.










1 comment:

  1. This can become very useful from what it sounds like. It's one thing to have resources to learn typography from but when implemented in an interactive way like this a lot more can be learned.

    ReplyDelete