03 February 2014

Snowboards and Graphic Design

Snowboarding is a big thing around these parts, I do it, that girl over there does it, everybody in my house does it. The boards are not only about the way they ride and what they are made out of but what they look like. The graphic on snowboards has turned into something that people look at over performance. The industry has only been around a few decades but within the last one is when things really started to ski rocket. Snowboarding is world renowned, people of all ages are trying it, and arguably one of the most famous people in the world rides one (Shaun White).
   
The part that I am most interested in right now is the graphic side of it. The graphics on boards ranges from abstract shapes and lines to cats with gold chains to wood grain to The Ninja Turtles. There is no set style for boards like there is in other aspects of design. Boards can be found with dada inspiration, gothic, modern, contemporary, cartoon, and photography. Hardly will you find two boards from different companies that look alike maybe the same inspiration but totally different design.

The Graphic design world is so large for us designers now that we literally have a hand in everything. I thought it would be cool to show you non mountain shredders that there is people like us doing and designing incredible things that really last a life time.




2 comments:

  1. While I'm the least athletic person I know, I'll admit that every time I see boards of any kind I enjoy viewing the graphic design behind it. I also think it's impressive to imply art into athletic equipment that will wear and tear and still maintain style to it. I don't "sports-board" anything but if I'd pick any one of these boards I'd enjoy the GNU train. It contrasts perfectly between lights and darks and illustrates a kind of narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Ellie's post on wine labels, this is just another aspect of graphic design that may not instantly occur to us. We're all so focused on posters and magazine spreads, that it might not hit us that designers touch EVERYTHING, especially everything that is eventually sold. I've never been on a snowboard, but like Oscar, I always take a chance to look and see the design on someone's board. Like customizing license plates or tattoos, the customized graphic on a board is a piece of identity that someone chooses to show off for one reason or another. It's an aspect of design I enjoy, the conveyance of identity rather than the convincing of a product.

    ReplyDelete