04 February 2014

Wine About It

Wine About It

Remember when your parents used to tell you to “never judge a book by a cover?” Well, typically I never listened to this.  While I am not specifically drawn to most products, I will almost always buy a product just if it has interesting packaging or labels. 

This week, I want to direct your attention to my favorite item to waste my money on, wine!

Not always the most successful method when searching for a good bottle of wine, but it is certainly fun.  If the wine is bad, you still have an awesome label.

While researching this, I found a page on 99designs.com where they posted about 50 of their favorite project submissions.  The gallery includes everything from very simple to very complex designs.  The simple and clean designs, like the “56 Degrees North” gives off a very classy feel.  Those, which look very festive, like my favorite “Vinos De Los Muertos” gives off a very fun and festive feel.


To check out some of the other submissions, click the link here : http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2013/05/28/50-eye-catching-wine-labels/

Another area I would like to direct your attention to is “Equilibrium Estate Wine Labels.”  This brand is based from New South Whales, where they produce win carbon neutral.  They are an eco friendly brand and the labels designer, Gemme Warriner, created a label that reflects the brand.  Each of the labels give an insight to the process of their wine production.








Historically there is evidence that the Egyptian’s started labeling wine as early as 1352 BC.  King Tut’s tomb had wines labeled showing vintage, where it was grown, and who the winemaker was.  Obviously its easy to see why labels for wine were necessary, but it wasn’t until around the 1700s that Europeans started making labels.  Fun fact, their labels originally were parchment tied with string to the neck of the bottle.


Probably the first time I fell in love with wine labels was after viewing Ralph Steadman’s wine prints.  He was probably my favorite artist growing up and after I learned he had wine prints, I wanted all of them.  Of course at $600 a pop, it still hasn’t happened.  But his labels are incredible
This is a picture of one of his banned wine labels.  
The wine was banned for 
"The Liquor State Regulator of OHIO considers this image unsuitable as a decent law-abiding label to appear on a a bottle of fine wine from Bonny Doon Vineyards of Santa Cruz, California. We have banned it yessir! No rootin' tootin' sonofabitch gettin' passed us, no sir! We sure as hell know what's right and what aint. Don't want no figgin', non believin', wine drinkin', lowlife fink artist gettin' away wi' profanities of this kind an makin' a mockery r aur laws and good folk customs. Goddamn limey bastard too!!"


You can check out the whole story and the rest of his labels here : http://www.ralphsteadmanprints.com/wine-prints.html



You can design and print your own wine label on this website 
http://www.yourlabelsnow.com/products/beverage/wine-labels/?gclid=CKTSxJ_Rs7wCFcGTfgodyHMAyQ
Enjoy ! 





References: 

http://www.ralphsteadman.com
http://www.designer-daily.com/25-brilliant-wine-label-bottle-package-designs-1808?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
http://www.designer-daily.com/equilibrium-estate-wine-labels-42928
http://guity-novin.blogspot.com/2012/09/chapter-61-history-of-wine-labels.html

8 comments:

  1. First of all, let me just say that little statement of the banned label from Ralph Steadman was hilarious! Nice humorous touch. Alright, so I don't drink wine (tried once or twice maybe), but I do agree that some of the labeling, especially those you've put up as an example, are quite unique and interesting. I also appreciate the "Vino De Los Muertos" wine labels since they're so detailed and festive as you put it. The Equilibrium Estate Wine Labels had an interesting concept too, taking advantage of design label to inform their eco-friendly wine processing; this is like an extra touch to the recognition of brand and product. Overall, this was an interesting topic to look on. I know there are many other types of bottle brands with labels, such as Gatorade or Arrowhead water bottles (granted they're plastic, but you get what I mean), but I don't think I've ever really thought of wine bottle labels; well, now I do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drink wine often either but when I do, I do the same exact thing. I always look for creative labels and Some of them can be really cool! I love the Equilibrium Estate Wine Labels. The fact that they put the process on it is really ingenious and different. Love it! Also, Make my own Wine Labels!??! How sweet is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the designs are incorporated into the bottles, particularly with the skulls and day of the dead themed ones. These are the sort of products that my parents will typically purchase just because of how much the enjoy the presentation and packaging, I find this very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really intricate ideas for wine label design. I enjoyed the Cardinal Zin (nice) and the sugar skull designs--they have a unique twist to them. Also, I knew a girl who graduated from NAU last year and she has family friends in Napa CA who have a winery. She designed a series of wine labels for them and I believe she used them. I love wine though and therefore love this post. A goal of mine in the future is to have my own winery and create the whole brand from the ground up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a corner of graphic design that fascinates me. Product packaging design is something that will never cease to exist and is perhaps one of the oldest graphic design fields. In the case of the wine bottle the design involved always has a sense of quality to it, probably because of the quality of the product. Designing labels for alcoholic drinks would definitely not be the worst job...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time my sister and I go to the grocery store, we spend ten minutes perusing the wine aisle. The array of labels on all these classy glass bottles have been a great excursion for a designer who wants to take a look at an object, a brand and see how different designers bring a different take on a very old and familiar product. Seeing the variability just in the wine bottles you posted shows just how much you can do with a wine label and it's definitely entertaining to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of these labels are amazing!

    A good product package always fascinates me. I like when something creative happens in the part of life where most won't notice it happening. Remember when you first open that resealable package of the Oreos?

    This is a good find. I'm going to spend this weekend designing wine labels now.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the variety of bottle design. Especially the one with the windows that allows you to see the level of wine. That makes the product more interactive!

    ReplyDelete