24 February 2014

Pemberton & Whitefoord Design

While we were taking a break from the Project 1 craze this weekend, I decided to do some stumbling across the web to see what sort of design firms and ideas I could pick up in preparation for Project 2. One site that I stumbled upon is P&W design.

Like any design firm or company, the website really has to showcase P&W's prowess both in general design as well as website design. This site in particular clicked with me because of the clever intro to the site that featured a doorbell that was actually interactive. Although there wasn't a blatant button saying 'push the doorbell to enter', the concept of pushing a doorbell to enter a house is so deeply ingrained in people that it was instinctive to click the doorbell without considering if it was a button or not.

Not only is the website designed cleverly, there are a few little easter eggs that aren't really important for P&W, but it makes the audience grin. For instance, try clicking on the watering bucket on the left side of the page.

I'm not saying there aren't flaws. When the mouse hovers over a clickable item, the cross stitch in the center of the page switches to display what that button is supposed to do. When I first saw the site, the change was so subtle that I didn't notice it until I was looking directly at the center of the page.
Also, some areas that appear clickable because the mouse changes when you hover over them wind up not leading you to any new page. This is either misleading or it shows that the site may still be in development.

I encourage you guys to look at this site both for it's content and portfolio, as well as the actual design of the site - usability, friendliness, all that jazz.



P&W offers a guide book for clients to see how P&W works.
Part of P&W's Starbucks branding project in their portfolio.




3 comments:

  1. Interesting applications of Interactivity I think. I was kind of confused with how to mouse changed to this weird pointing finger - it just seemed out of place. However, I liked how it was a very "intuitive" interactivity. By this I mean the phone was the "Contact Us" page, and that makes total sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website is fun to explore. There was a lot of creative thought put into the layout of the site. The images that were clickable confused me at first because I didn't know what they represented unless I clicked on them. I also didn't notice the subtle change that happened when I moved my mouse around the website. It took me a while to realize that the cross-stitch picture above the couch changed based on where your mouse was. The interactivity is unique because most websites are designed to be straightforward and simple. I would say that this is a strength and a weakness of the company's website. If someone was in a hurry or was struggling to figure out how to use the interface, they would get frustrated quickly and that is probably not what the company wanted. Someone else might be very impressed with the presentation and that could positively affect the company.

    Phillip - I agree that the mouse changing to a pointer seems out of place. I think it was the direction that the finger was pointing. It's not exactly at the same angle as the mouse cursor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's certainly an interesting way to incorporate interactive design into the subject. Making items function on a page is one thing, but to utilize them in a way that is aesthetically pleasing is an amazing use of graphics design.

    ReplyDelete