05 March 2013

Using Black in Print Design

example-artwork-placed.jpg
This interesting article covers issues that designers come across when attempting to print in black. Specifically it covers transitions from blacks used in Photoshop, to blacks used in Illustrator. In addition, this article goes on to explain the different ways those blacks are created, and which are best for fine text. The information here is great, and really sheds light on something most designers take for granted; black.

However; we have all had print designs where the printout looks much different than it did on the screen, and this article helps to explain why. In particular, I enjoyed the explanation of "warm" and "cool" blacks where you mix different components of CMYK. I will definitely be using this information the next time I go to print something.



example-artwork-reality.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I like the second image & how it shows us the side by side difference of Illustrator vs. Photoshop black. Very interesting & good to know information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I've learned so much about how printing works in the last ten minutes. This is a really great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is great! Definitely bookmarked in case I ever need a refresher. :)

    I hope I'm not the only one who's ever had that heart-in-your-throat 'but those blacks were the same' moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I think we all have had that moment when you go to print and see the final product and think... shit. This is a good resource and there are plenty of other options out there to help you correct color before going to print. My friend told me about "spyder" which helps correct colors on your monitor, pretty cool. here is a video on how it works.

    http://youtu.be/G8t6-ddR47Y

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great article! I always come across printing problems and it is so useful to know why and how they happen. I'm definitely reading the whole article later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed the differences between the blacks in Photoshop and Illustrator myself, and at first had no idea what was causing the issue. This is a great article, and will be some handy information for the next prints I make.

    ReplyDelete