25 February 2013

2D or not 2D Animation Festival

I found out about a film festival that is held in Seattle Washington every year.  It's called 2D or not 2D and it was originally created to try and promote more traditional 2d animation.  They have people come in and talk about different animation techniques, and show the various finalists that have been submitted over the previous year.

They don't exclude any computer animated films.  In fact, they embrace all types of animation, but they want to do it in a way that makes traditional animation still viable.


Problem is, it's hard to find out that much information about them.  They have promotional videos they do for each year, and they have their website at 2D or not 2D but it's really lacking in information.  Especially about the finalists themselves.

Regardless of the difficulty tracking down the animations, I really like the idea behind this animation festival, and I hope it continues to grow through the years.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like it would be a fun event to attend. I love the old school cartoons like Tom & Jerry and Looney Toones and I think that an event like this would remind me a lot of that animation style. Maybe I'll look more into this I wanted to try and get to Washington someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems to be a very interesting convention to attend. I like the way it showcases 2D design rather than 3D because 2D is where we started. In a way, I feel like it would almost be like attending an old school convention, however, that is more my style so I will definitely be looking into going to this some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesssss. I've seen some of these pieces but I didn't know this convention existed. It's always inspiring to see people that haven't given up on 2d animation. Is this still going on? The website looks like it's still showing the 2011 convention. I will absolutely look into going to this when I'm back up in the northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great thing! I love old animation style, it looks cool! And I'm always impressed when people do animation in the traditional style. Its hard work and takes time. I love the old movie disney for this because it looks beautiful and and you know the artist took their time and dediction to make everything look amazing. I'm glad people care about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so interesting and awesome for anyone studying animation. I wish they had more information like you mentioned, is there no website? I think this is a great idea and wish we had something like this in Flagstaff.

    ReplyDelete