10 April 2013

20 Motivating Design Quotes

While using Stumbleupon, a giant mash-up of everything cool, I found this great article called "20 Motivating Design Quotes for Graphic Designers."Though a lot of them apply to artists in general, it really made me rethink how I design or how I came to want to design. A few definitely caught my attention and stirred up more thoughts than they probably should have.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is staying an artist when you grow up." Since I could hold a pen, I have been drawing in every single Disney book I had, on every wall in my house, and on all the tables up until mid-teens when I began to enter contests for drawing and painting. I know a lot of people that said they wanted to be an "artist" when they grow up when we were asked in elementary school, yet I am one of two in my graduating class of 120 kids to go on to pursue an art degree in college. I think a lot of people get the creativity pushed out of them because they "need" to pursue a more "realistic" career. For me, I'm glad I was able to stick with what I love and enjoy every minute of it (except for when I'm an hour before a deadline and only halfway done).

"Good design is all about making other designers feel like idiots because that idea wasn't theirs." Let's be real, whenever we present work, all of us see at least one design and think, "Why didn't I think of that?" It's part of making what seems to be obvious strengthened by good design and concepts.

"Those who do not want to imitate anything produce nothing." We all derive inspiration from somewhere and I know sometimes it feels like everything has already been done, but I love this quote because it shows how you need to find inspiration from something to create the wireframe for a design. It could be shapes, colors, textures, or anything that you see and moves you to create something even better by being influenced.

You should definitely check out the other quotes, they could make you rethink an idea so simple and inspire your designs!

8 comments:

  1. I believe it was Pablo Picasso who said every child is an artist. It is so true. I volunteer at an elementary school art class once a week. It seems each and every one of them are intent and excited about the projects. It seems they have not yet told themselves whether they ARE or ARE NOT an artist. They all just do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of the quotes are very inspiring & even more so because they are more specific to our common passion of being graphic designers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the one about making other designers wish they had designed what you did. I feel so often that I wish I had thought of things first, and I think as designers, that means we feel like that piece is successful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many good quotes in that article that relate to not only myself but all designers. I really like the quote from Salvador Dali "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it". its somewhat of a curse for all artists that pieces are never done because the moment you put down your tool you look at it and are always wanting to change something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the quotes! They are very inspiring and help designers believe in themselves and I know a lot of designers sometimes feel like they are not good when they are but they just dont have motivation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those quotes really hit home for me. I totaly agree with the fact that every child is an artist the tough part is staying one, it is easier for some than others for myself I had my own interest as well as art teacher for a mother. It has always bugged me when people say they cannot draw, or that they could never draw as well as I do, in my opioion al it takes is practice and the will to pursue it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great quotes to live by! I think they are inspiring and can help us understand the ups and downs of design problems, projects, and finished pieces. I hope some day each designer out there can contribute to a long list of quotes from their own experiences - especially people who keep getting told you won't go anywhere with an art degree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its amazing how words can effect all of us in such a emotional way, simple words put in the right order can motivate us to accomplish new things, or push past difficult times. Quotes have become some of the most widely used design to influence people in advertisements or art. Its all the way in which we look at the design.

    ReplyDelete